Tag Archives: Camper Renovation

Tiny House: Paint Job

19 Nov

492d9c5e-6a6f-4944-a760-f60bbdc6653bA lot of time and energy was spent on the inside of my Scooby Shack, and it is beautiful.

However the first thing I said when I saw the camper, so many months ago now, was that the red stripes had to go. Until recently I didn’t have the time to make that happen.

A quick trip to the hardware store for paint color options started the process. Since the inside was whites, grays, and blues I wanted to go with a blue for the strip. I spent a week looking at shades of blue before I finally landed on a trio of beachy aquas.

Supplies

Supplies

I purchased a high quality quick dry oil based outdoor primer that accepted all types of paint on top of it. I purchased the highest quality outdoor water based paint for the trio of aqua blues.

I purchased rolls of painters tape that I ended up not using and returning; I was able to flow the lines and grooves of the siding. I also purchased a sponge brush that was a mistake. Fell apart. Had to go and buy a regular brush when I returned the tape.

So far the color is holding up nicely to the sun and rain. Just changing the old razed red with fresh blue made all the difference! It easily took 15/20 years off the appearance. I’m very happy with my color choice.

Overall I spent under $100 and eight hours for a major curb-appeal improvement! I also took the time to paint over the old logo stickers and added a fun decal that reads: “not all who wonder are lost -JRR Tolkien”

Before

Before

After

After

From the back

From the back

Tiny House: Floor Rehab 

13 Aug
New floor going in.

New floor going in.

The floor in the camper wasn’t terrible, it was just cheap stick on squares. That’s fine for a part-time camper. Since I’ll be living in it for at least 8 months I want it to look really beautiful, and thinking down the road to resale nice floors are going to help get a higher price.

To start everything need to be off the floor. All tools, furniture, use a shop-vac to get it nice and clean because you’ll be down on your knees to get the old flooring ripped up off of it.

I used a pry-bar and a utility knife. The knife to cut along seams and edges and the pry-bar to slowly lift the floor off the wood sub-floor.

In this camper, at some point, someone put 12×12 squares over top of the original which was one big piece. Everything came up pretty easily, the only thing left was a thin layer of paper from the back of the original floor…I’ll be honest getting this off was a major pain, ultimately it will produce a better finished product.

I’m now all ready for the beautiful new floor, which is a vinyl plank wood look in a gray tone. This is adhered with special glue. Make sure and run your lines to follow the longest direction to help make the space feel larger. Work from the middle out, staggering your end lines.

The Tiny House: Replacing Rotten Floor

26 Jul

I purchased the camper for an incredible price, so when I discovered the bedroom floor in the back was soft I didn’t get too worked up about it.

Once I had the bed removed it became clear the floor was gone; there was no where solid to stand. This was a project I would definitely need my dad for.

I keep making progress on the rest of the camper, totally avoiding the back until my dad had a day off work and we could get to it. We took a little time one day to get the floor cut out, the insulation pulled out, and all the flaking destroyed floor and jousts removed.

I then sat up a fan and let it blow back there for a few days. Clearly the back camper had major water damage and we wanted to make sure it was bone dry before we did anything to it.

If you’re going to do this make sure to leave the thick plastic sheeting alone and undamaged that’s there for a reason you’ll need to pull the staples to get it off the old joists then once you’re done rests plenty to the new.

We just spend the last two days finishing up the removal of the old floor. We also removed all the extra storage doors so we could get to everything and then we jacked the camper walls up off the frame a couple of inches.

We replaced all the base supportive joists as well as ran all new center floor joists. We bolted them to the frame and used metal plates to screw all the floor joists together for added weight distribution and strength.

Sounds easy but it took a very long time and was a ton of work. But totally worth it because now we know for certain everything is solid in excellent condition.

Speaking of condition…pretty sure a busted water heater was to blame for the floors so I got on Amazon and purchased a new Eco tankless water heater for $165. It’s small but rated for RVs so it will work out perfect!

Getting started cutting out the old rotten floor.

Getting started cutting out the old rotten floor.

This is a daunting project.

This is a daunting project.

This is some serious damage. The floor just flakes!

This is some serious damage. The floor just flakes!

camper jacked up off the frame a little bit.

camper jacked up off the frame a little bit.

Starting to get it cleaned out. That old floor just disintegrated!

Starting to get it cleaned out. That old floor just disintegrated!

This is the plastic i mentioned you needed to keep unharmed.

This is the plastic i mentioned you needed to keep unharmed.

The light at the end of the tunnel.

The light at the end of the tunnel.

New floor coming along!

New floor coming along!

Floor done! Now we need to get the siding and doors back on, and replace the ruined walls on the inside.

Floor done! Now we need to get the siding and doors back on, and replace the ruined walls on the inside.